Building on the success of previous events held at the Birdfair festival at Rutland Wildlife Reserve in East Anglia, the ‘State of the Earth’ Question Time event will be chaired by Born Free Policy Advisor and Wildlife Advocate Dominic Dyer and will be based on the format of the BBC current affairs programme, with questions for the speaker panel being led by the audience.
- Deborah Meaden – Businesswoman and investor
- Nada Farhoud – Environment Editor Daily Mirror
- Craig Bennett – CEO Wildlife Trusts
- Pen Farthing – CEO Nowzad
- Will Travers OBE – Executive President Born Free
- James Miller – Writer film maker and campaigner
- Bella Lack – Author campaigner and Youth Ambassador Born Free
The key focus of the event will be the importance of habitat, wildlife protection and animal welfare at home and abroad in a rapidly changing world where we face a growing climate emergency.
Key issues for discussion will include:
- Population growth and growing demands on worlds natural resources leading to destruction of wildlife and habitats
- Growing impact of climate change on natural world at home and aboard
- The role of the media, broadcasters, writers, and film makers in promoting awareness of the threats to the natural world
- The growing importance of animal welfare and recognition of animal suffering because of human actions
- How can public pressure lead to political change when it comes to protecting wildlife, animals and the natural world
- The growing threat from industrial livestock, farming and food production to the natural world
- How can a younger generation be motivated to stand up for wildlife and the natural world
- The role of education and science in nature conservation
- The negative impact of the hunting and shooting industry on our native wildlife and landscapes at home & aboard
- Is wildlife tourism sustainable or does it ultimately pose a threat to the natural world
- The need to tackle wildlife crime at home as well as abroad
- The growing threat to wildlife and landscapes from a huge increase in house building and major civil engineering projects like HS2
- The new generation of environment campaigners and their impact (Greta Thunberg, School Climate Strikes, Extinction Rebellion)
The speaker panel for the event will bring together influencers, thought leaders and campaigners from business, journalism, wildlife conservation and animal welfare across the age generations.